Yield: 4 servings
Chickpea flour tortillas have a crepe-like texture and feature just the right savory blend. Stacked with layers of spicy beans and mushrooms, these fajitas are fantastic. Who doesn’t like Mexican-style food?
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
1 cup chickpea flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ cup diced white onion
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
8 ounces white mushrooms, diced
½ cup diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons fajita seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons raw shelled hempseed
Salsa, for garnish
Avocado, for garnish
1. Mix ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside.
2. Add 1 cup water, the chickpea flour, chia seed mixture, salt, and cumin to a medium bowl.
3. Mix until just combined.
4. Add 2 tablespoons oil to an 8-inch skillet and heat to medium high.
5. Add ¼ cup chickpea batter and tilt the pan in a circular tilt to let the batter flow to cover the bottom of the pan, as you would a crepe.
6. Cook until golden brown and flip. Cook for another minute and remove to a plate. Continue until all the batter is gone and the tortillas are made.
7. Add the oil to a large skillet and heat to medium high. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms and sauté 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, fajita seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans and hempseed. Heat through.
8. Layer the chickpea tortilla stack starting with one tortilla on a plate. Spoon on about ½ cup filling. Add another tortilla and ½ cup filling and continue until the filling is all gone. Top with a tortilla, salsa, and avocado. Cut into quarters in a pie shape and serve.
Protein: 17 grams per serving
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes